Corona Virus Wisdom from our favorite M.D.- Dr. Grossman
This week has been heavy. Our thoughts go out to all those impacted by this virus. With so much information coming at us, we wanted to go to a source that we trust for some good tips on staying healthy and safe. Dr. Karyn Grossman is one of the leading Dermatologists in the country and we're grateful to have some of the below tips from her.
1) No handshaking. Waves and smiles are great friendly greetings.
2) Use your elbow to touch light switches, elevator buttons, etc.
3) Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
4) Open doors with your elbow or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door.If you can use a paper towel, that is even better.
5) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
6) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from any outside activities. Shop our Clean Freak Hand Sanitizing Mist Here.
7) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. and in your car for use when you can't wash your hands.
8) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow can contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!
9) Zinc has been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel any "cold-like" symptoms beginning.
The use of masks is controversial, as many feel they do not protect against airborne viral particles. Good resources on this include the CDC Website and this CNET article.